Thursday, March 26, 2009

Investigative journalism done better without newspapers

Techdirt has an interesting and somewhat twisted post about investigative journalism. It notes that even with the collaps of newspapers, investigative reporting will be done better, faster and cheaper. (Which I don't agree! )

and it also claims that we should get rid of two myths.

Myth 1: Newspapers put tons of money and resources into investigative journalism.
Myth 2: Only newspapers can do investigative journalism.

Okay, I convince myself that it's always good to see the situation from the various angles.

1 comment:

  1. I love how some of those posting comments disregard the value of editing. (All of those posting comments were anonymous, of course, except for Mike, who wrote the article.)

    I can't tell you how much value the LAT foreign and national copy desks bring to the daily report, and I'm not talking headlines or spelling. I'm talking about probing, questioning and double checking. A colleague of mine refers to this as "prosecuting a story." When the prosecutors disappear, the guilty will get away with murder -- or, rather, negligent homicide.

    ReplyDelete