Friday, January 16, 2009

The irony of oursourcing

Today I stumbled on this article about USA today's decision to stop printing its international edition. Due to plunging advertising revenue, USA today is seeking licensees to take over its production abroad. However, USA Today would still write articles and supply photos for the edition. In other words, basically it will be outsourcing!



So I guess I will still be able to pick up USA today Asia at a hotel lobby while traveling.According to the paper, its international edition has a daily average circulation of 60,000+.



Recently I have witnessed that newspapers are not only outsourcing its production to local publishers but outsourcing its foreign correspondents to local freelancers. I remember reading an washington post article lamenting the 'Demise of the foreign corresspondent'.



This is incredibly important trends for me in that now I am a LA correspondent of Chosun Daily and my dream is to work in as many countries as possible. I fully understand the benefits of outsourcing as a business reporter who has written hundreds of stories about them, but it is true that when it comes to my self and job it becomes bitter...What can I do...hum.



If there is any consolation for me, it is not easy for korean papers to find someone abroad who wrties perfect korean and speak local language at the same time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment